A bunch of random thoughts & things that have happened recently:
- One of the local malls contains a Dippin' Dots franchise. With some amazement I noticed yesterday that they still proclaim that they are "The Ice Cream of the Future." They were saying that when I was eight years old -- I think it's safe to say that the future passed them by.
- Giant Foods has a giant sign at their self scan stations proclaiming the machines are "Quick! Easy! Fun!" Sorry, it's never "Fun!" to scan and bag my own groceries. In fact, I'll gladly pay an extra $10 when going through checkout if they will just put another cashier on the floor just so I don't have to use the self-service lines ever again.
- The new issue of Some Fantastic will go online tonight. Hopefully, this will mark the beginning of its return to a regular publishing schedule.
- I don't know how many people reading this will actually know what I'm talking about, but I would really love it if Upper Deck will take proper advantage of owning the Fleer trademark and actually issued a Fleer baseball card set in the same fashion that Fleer issued them until the early 90s: teams grouped together, player team designation matching the uniform worn in the photo (regardless of offseason movement), no less than 24 players per team, and a series of superstar group photos closing out the set.
- I positively love the new Best Buy commercial where the sales associate does a sudden Vulcan mind-meld on the customer to figure out the computer he needs.
- I know that BNL released two new albums worth of material just 16 months ago, but I think I'm ready for a new album now. In fact, since I was unable to go on Ships and Dip III, I think I could use a new tour now as well.
- I went to Wal-Mart this morning -- I wouldn't have if I didn't have a couple gift cards I had to use (no way I'm not using them and letting them have free money). I swear that when I walked through the front door, I felt a chill crawl over me like the one Luke Skywalker encountered when entering the portion of the Degobah swamp where the Dark Side of the force was especially strong.
- I'm planning on taking some time off in March -- it will be the first real vacation I've taken in over two years. I'm thinking that I might spend the time up in Philly and do some things that I've never done up there or haven't done in a long, long time.