A potpourri of random tidbits, each too short for its own post -- a couple of which are transcribed from Facebook, most are not:
- I was really annoyed when I discovered the minimum hardware requirements set by Aspyr Media for its Mac port of Civ 6. I bought my new Mac in February 2016, and because Apple hadn't updated that line in quite some time, it shipped with an Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB card. Now, I understand that computer game makers have to set limits on backwards hardware compatibility, but it seems to me that for a game like Civ 6, which doesn't require that type of video card needed by a first-person shooter or a real-time RPG, whatever Apple has been shipping in the months preceding the release of the game should be sufficient to run it.
- I was highly amused when it was brought to my attention that the words "ninja" and "moose" are similar in that the plural and singular of each are identical. I absolutely relish the thought of my animal spirit guide as ninja.
- I don't know if I jumped the gun on this, but I decided to upgrade my LJ account to paid status for the first time in months, if not over a year. Although I've used the same user pic on every post since the end of April, I wanted to have some flexibility with my choices if I truly am going to continue posting here on a regular basis. I may even take the time to select a new theme and change the appearance for the first time in years.
- Last weekend, TeenLitGirl helped me assemble the Lego Jurassic World Indominus rex Breakout set. At 1,156 pieces, it is by far the largest set I have ever pieced together, and it took the two of us nearly four hours to build it. I had a lot of fun, but the experience left me a little terrified at the thought of tackling the Lego Batman Classic TV Series Batcave, which contains 2,526 pieces and has been sitting unopened in its box since I purchased it at the end of August.
- When driving home from bringing Manchild back to his mom on Sunday night, "Brian WIlson" played on my iPod. Given my mood for much of the past week, it seemed like the perfect song at the perfect time, and when it was over I was left wishing that there was a late night record shop that I could drive to.
- Completely unrelated to the previous item about ninjas, a couple days ago I left the following as a comment on Facebook: "I always wished someone would stalk me. I've never been stalked -- unless it was by a ninja. Then, there was no way I could've known." I was going for humor, but as with many jokes, there is a warped kind of serious foundation to it. See, as far as I know no woman ever had an unrequited crush on me. It's possible that a platonic friend carried one and didn't tell me, but that still means I never knew. I don't need it ever happen, but when I was much younger I would've been thrilled to discover I had a secret admirer.
- Earlier today I read the news that to celebrate the 15th anniversary of its original release, Spirited Away will return to theaters on December 4 & 5. This is one of Manchild's favorite movies, and thankfully it is showing at noon rather than the early evening, as is the case with most Fathom Events. Suffice it to say that I would love nothing more than to take him to the Sunday showing.